Moving from germany to switzerland involves various costs. How expensive it will actually be for emigrants depends on several factors. What these are and how to finance the move to the new life is addressed in this article.
Do not underestimate relocation costs
Moving costs in the four-digit range are not uncommon. Especially when hiring a professional moving company, the expenses quickly add up to more than 1.500 euros. As the 2020 moving survey by moving platform movu reveals, around a quarter of respondents said they spent between 501 and 2.000 swiss francs (CHF) spent on their move (including moving company, cleaning costs, new purchases). This corresponds to a cost range of between around 483 euros and 1.928 euro. 23 percent estimated that their move between 2.001 and 4.000 swiss francs costs and 14 percent go from 4.001 to 6.000 swiss francs. Seven percent of respondents even stretch your estimate to $8.000 francs. For germans, these numbers also serve as a guide.
If such a sum is not or cannot be covered by reserves, financing is a conceivable option. Installment loans are a recommended option for consumers because they are paid off monthly in fixed installments and the terms can often be planned individually. "Since a relocation loan is usually not earmarked for a specific purpose, borrowers can basically use the loan amount for anything, for example, for the broker's commission, the deposit for the apartment or new furnishings," adds auxmoney gmbh, with whose loan brokerage consumers can finance their move without having to communicate directly with a bank. Credit inquiries are possible today comfortably over internet free of charge. By comparing the effective annual interest rate as well as the service of the financial service providers, the fairest loan offer can be determined.
Factors influencing moving costs
Since it is not uncommon to have to travel greater distances when emigrating from germany to switzerland, transportation becomes more costly and this in turn drives up the overall costs. Particularly in the case of a professionally organized move, it is important to take a careful look at potential expenses in order to realistically assess the need for savings or borrowed capital. In addition to the distance traveled, two major factors play a significant role:
- The living situation: if the new apartment in switzerland is on the third floor, for example, the moving company will need much more time to move the inventory than if the apartment is on the first floor. The more time-consuming the move, the higher the cost. In addition, the distance between the parking lot and the entrance to the apartment affects the bill of the moving company. If the parking situation is difficult and the movers have to transport the furniture and moving boxes from the transport vehicle over a certain distance into the building, this can also have an impact on the costs.
- The inventory: the more furnishings have to be dismantled and stowed away by the professionals, the more expensive the move will be. The amount of moving boxes and the type of furniture are also crucial. Bulky goods and cumbersome dismantling work increase the time required by the moving company. If emigrants do as much of the preliminary work as possible themselves, the financial outlay can be reduced. It also makes sense to clean out your belongings before the move so that you don't have to pay for unnecessary items that no one will need in switzerland anyway.
Removal without professionals – typical costs
Who wants to reduce the moving costs to a minimum, organizes the move from germany to switzerland without professional assistance. It may be possible for relatives and friends to step in as removal helpers and provide support free of charge. That relieves the household cash considerably. But even in this case, there are unavoidable costs that should be calculated in advance:
- Transport vehicles
- Evtl. Parking fees
- Costs for the establishment of a no-stopping zone
- Moving materials (cardboard, tape, etc.).)
- Catering for the relocation helpers
- Cleaning costs
When renting moving vans, the costs must be clarified concretely. Mileage allowances are possible, as is the requirement that vehicles be returned with a full tank of fuel. It is essential that the size is right: if it turns out on the day of the move that the transporter is not enough, it can become unnecessarily expensive in the short term. As a guide, about ten cubic meters of cargo space per living space.
Organize no-stopping zones or no-parking signs
The importance of applying for a no-stopping zone for moving day is often forgotten and drives up moving costs unimaginably because moving helpers have to walk much further due to a lack of parking spaces. The no-stopping zone is especially important in cities and heavily frequented streets. In switzerland, depending on the canton, this cost between five and 100 francs.
Emigrants should take care of the organization of parking zones early on. According to the information on the website of the security department of the city of zurich, for example, there the city police accepts reservations of parking spaces. The basel cantonal police charges 10 francs per no parking sign for self-collection and 50 francs for delivery orders.