Bafog as financial aid for second studies

According to the principles of this law, the training allowance is normally only paid for initial training. Initial education includes both attendance at secondary schools, but also vocational training. Bafog can also be granted for attendance at a university, technical college, academy or other educational institution.

Bafog for a second degree program as retraining

If a student wishes to finance his or her second course of study as a retraining course through bafog, he or she must be aware of the requirements for receiving the study grant. Not everyone can simply have a second course of study funded by bafog. The granting of this aid depends, among other things, on what the first education was like. If, for example, the student has completed an apprenticeship and was not entitled to receive bafog during this apprenticeship, he or she can apply for bafog for a second course of study.

If a bachelor's degree is followed by a master's degree, this does not constitute a second degree within the meaning of bafog. Students can apply for bafog for a master's degree after completing a bachelor's degree program, but must not be older than 35 years of age. The master's degree must also qualify the student for a profession and must be a full-time course of study lasting at least two to four semesters.

If there is a change of the course of study to a completely different course of study, it can be difficult to receive bafog, since the study grant is not provided for a change of the course of study.

Bafog can, however, be granted in the form of a loan if a second course of study is required for the intended career goal. The loan must be repaid in full, although this repayment can be made in small installments over a period of up to twenty years. If vocational training assistance is requested for a second course of study, a corresponding application must be submitted. The necessary form is available at the bafog office. However, the loan agreement is then concluded with deutsche ausgleichsbank.

Graduates are given a good opportunity to finance a second course of study by receiving bafog as a loan, provided they are not otherwise entitled to a regular grant.

Parent-independent training assistance

An entitlement to bafog exists if trainees cannot obtain the means for their livelihood in any other way. The student's own income and assets, as well as the income of his or her spouse and parents, are to be taken into account according to § 11 para. 2 bafog to be credited.

§ 11 abs. 2 bafog, however, mentions exceptions to this income-dependent support. Parents' income, for example, is not taken into account if the student attends an evening high school or preparatory college, has reached the age of thirty at the start of training or studies and has been gainfully employed for a total of five years at the start of training or studies after the age of eighteen.

If the student was able to support himself during his previous employment, the legislator assumes that there is no longer an obligation on the part of the parents to finance training or studies. Accordingly, the obligation to pay maintenance is no longer subject to civil review. It is assumed that the student can no longer approach his parents for support.

Bafog after change of course of study

The granting of bafog after a change of the course of study can take place, if thereby a change of emphasis took place. The subjects of the first study are then identical with the subjects of the second study and can be credited. However, a certificate must be submitted stating that the change of course of study does not cause the previous semesters to lapse. The receipt of bafog is thus not affected, as the study program only consists of a different focus.

Bafog after changing the field of study

Change of subject means the change of the field of study. If a student makes such a change, he or she can also receive bafog for a second course of study, but this is subject to a number of conditions.

A change of subject is regulated in § 7 bafog. This is when changing from one field of study with a specific goal to another field of study with a different goal. If there is a change of major, freshman and sophomore studies are generally not eligible for the education allowance. However, there are also exceptions if a change of subject was made for an "important reason". These important reasons include unsuitability for studies due to lack of intellect or existing mental and physical limitations, the presence of a serious change of inclination, the completion of a park study or, in certain cases, the change of ideology and denomination. A change for good cause can only be made in a bachelor's degree program. However, a change of subject in the master's program is completely excluded.

Bafog repayment when dropping out of studies

Dropping out of a course of study simultaneously ends the payment of benefits under bafog. In order to receive bafog again after dropping out of studies, a new application must be submitted, which is then subject to the same conditions as for a change of subject area. It is important that the studies were not discontinued after the third semester and that the reason for the discontinuation was communicated to the bafog office.

Those who wish to discontinue their studies and have received bafog for this purpose must repay the aid they have received. However, only the loan portion of the bafog, i.E. 50 percent, has to be repaid in the event of a dropout. The remaining 50 percent is a state subsidy, which is not reclaimed.